[lbo-talk] Why not Paul

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Nov 28 15:15:42 PST 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Shane Mage writes:
>
>>> The man is a nutter.
>>
>> Are you a qualified psychiatrist or psychoanalyst?
>
> I forget: are those professions licensed to determine who is and is
> not a nutter?

Obviously not, since the test of sanity is simply acceptance of mainstream economics:

“Nobody who is taken seriously as an economist is going to say ‘cancel the Fed,’ ” said Glenn Hubbard, the dean of Columbia Business School, chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers under George W. Bush, and now Mitt Romney’s chief economic adviser. “I find it very disturbing that the media is giving equal time to some ideas that are just crazy.” (NYTimes editor's column)

So it's crazy to believe that monetary and fiscal policy should be decided by elected representatives of the public (as Ron Paul wants, even though the policies he advocates are not leftist ones) rather than by appointed "technocrats" (aka bank stooges) like the Montis, Papademoses, Trichets, and Bernankes of this world. It may not be clinically "crazy" to put decisive power in the hands of "Independent Central Banks," but it's sure as hell undemocratic and, as everyone can see, economically destructive. So, if Ron Paul is a "nutter" then the Hubbards and Geithners are what?...Monster Raving Loonies?

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"