[lbo-talk] California rail project

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Nov 29 08:30:41 PST 2011

Wojtek writes:

> My definition is narrow?

In the case of a California HSR system that would cut driving time from 6-8 hours down to 3 for tens of thousands, the idea that it would allow perhaps hundreds to leisurely extend a flying trip from 2 to 3 hours for the comfort of riding on a train and skipping the TSA gropefest ... yes, that's a narrow segment of the market, and a narrow view into the reason and purpose of the train, as well as the reason and purpose for all the NorCal/SoCal travel in the first place.

It's a simple proposition: California HSR will have the largest impact on which SF-LA travellers:

A) Drivers B) Flyers

The answer is clearly A. Beacuse it's clearly A in almost every other market, and the ones where it's not true are very, very different from California in all kinds of ways.

---

> [...] your wisecrack comes as quite disrespectful of your
> interlocutors, and you tend to do it quite a bit.

Yes, yes. My mother agrees with you, as well as most of my grade school teachers. So sorry to disrepect you, but I'm sorry that I can't do anything about it: I see a straight line and I jump on it. Terrible, I know. I hate that you top-post and that you're too lazy to trim the whole posting below your postings (which I find rude in a public forum, but that's me), and I admit it often leads me to just delete your mail without reading it.

Ah, there's trouble in the tubes. Yawn.

/jordan