[lbo-talk] Prepare for riots in euro collapse, Foreign Office warns

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 10:45:34 PST 2011

2011/11/29 Ferenc Molnar <ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com>

> Wojtek wrote: I really do not understand the tendency on the left to hope
> that an economic crisis will bring capitalism down and start a revo...
>
> FM: Speaking for myself, I'm not particularly looking forward to a Euro
> collapse. I've been pointing out in other places for months (during the
> height of the OWS fervor) that along with focused and politically
> principled mass demonstrations 2011 has also brought rioting, looting and
> revolts that are harder to define politically if they can be defined as
> political at all. A tidal wave carries with it everything in its path.

And let me just say the same thing I always say when I see Woj make this claim:

Dear Woj,

Who, here, has expressed the desire or advanced the model you constantly attribute to the left? Who, here on the this realm of leftish discussion, has said they want an economic collapse and all the misery that goes with it? Who, here, has suggested that the kind of misery that goes with economic crisis is more likely to bring a revolution encompassing the democratization of production, the state and civil society rather than one that'll bring intensified barbarism?

Do you actually read this list or do you just use it as a place to spew insufficiently thought out, rarely sufficiently engaged and even more rarely well-argued - claims about straw wo/men? Did you pay any attention to the myriad discussions focused on the property destruction and police violence in London, on the dynamics and meaning of OWS, on black blocs?

Have you read a single thing Carroll has written lo these many years? How about the exchanges about race/racism? Any of the discussions of environmental crises? Who, and please be specific, is making the apocalypse-produces-healthy-revolution argument? Doug? Carroll? Shag? Me? Dennis? Ferenc? Carl? Joanna? Chuck? John G? SA? Jordan?

If you have so little use for "the left" - a phenomenon that you know a number of folks here deny even exists in a form worthy of the name - why are you here? If you want to disparage an element of the left that isn't here, go where it is and put up your dukes but don't tar folks here with positions you know full well nobody holds.