[lbo-talk] Why not Paul

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 29 17:16:46 PST 2011

Johnson continued Kennedy's policies (which were, essentially, Eisenhower's polices) with Kennedy's advisers, Kennedy's cabinet, and Kennedy's Pentagon & CIA.

The romantic notion that Kennedy was about to change those policies has beguiled liberals for years - altho' the notion grew up only long after Kennedy was dead.

For the final flowering of the fantasy, see the (very) recent book by theologian James Douglass, JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters (Orbis, 2008).