[lbo-talk] Why not Paul

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 30 06:03:33 PST 2011

As you said in your first post, this game of comparing criminals as to which was worse is a bit odd. I had forgotten Mossedegh, his overthrow being the cornerstone of all that has happened in the Middle East. & as the overthrow of Arbenz led to Rios Montt..

I think these comparisons don't really work -- except for the side value of helping recall 65 years of u.s. crimes around the globe. The overthrow of Lumumba led to untold horrors in the Congo, and by following free association that leads us beck to Leopold, and ...It's all of a piece.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Michael Smith Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:49 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why not Paul

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 22:05:41 -0500 Bhaskar Sunkara <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com> wrote:

> And the coup of Arbenz in Guatemala...

Context seems to have been lost sight of here. The point was not to canonize Eisenhower, but to compare him to his successor; the starting point was somebody's observation that JFK just 'continued' Eisenhower's legacy. In fact it seems to me that Mattress Jack was unquestionably *worse* than Eisenhower, bad as the latter was.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com