[lbo-talk] How the Black Bloc Occupied Oakland

Nicholas Roberts nicholas at themediasociety.org
Wed Nov 30 09:01:29 PST 2011

We need to acknowledge that anarchists of varying stripes founded and remain at the decentralized centers of the OWS movement, whatever their talk of leaderlessness or the self-negation of their own influence. We have to hope their New York comrades are more advanced. After all that has happened here, Occupy Oakland's General Assembly has not sanctioned a statement on the efficacy of protesters intentionally provoking the police to riot. We will never get one because provocation is the only game that anarchists know, because we only talk of violence vs. non-violence, and because General Assemblies are designed to be manipulated by anarchists. Thus we condone those who condone those who condone childish but dangerous provocation and let them lead us into a dark period of reaction that will smother any revolution they promise.