[lbo-talk] On Chomsky's remark about Israeli society

s11131978 s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 13:49:50 PDT 2011

On 10/1/2011 3:45 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 6:30 PM, s11131978<s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let me give some examples.
>

> So I offer the unanimous public positions of every single Palestinian
> faction

You have a problem with honest language. If I actually asked you to provide some evidence that "every single Palestinian faction" supports (what I called) the purist position, you would no doubt trot out a litany of statements ritually supporting the "right of return" -- even though my post went to great pains to show that "right of return" means different things to different people. Please show me evidence concerning, let's say, Fatah. Evidence that Fatah advocates the purist position (i.e. your position), namely:

> that the Palestinian national movement should under all circumstances
> reject any settlement of the conflict that does not implement the
> right of return in an unlimited way...[such that] it would naturally
> result in the actual return of millions of Palestinians to Israel and
> the end to any Jewish-majority state.

> SA trots out a few minor, generally retired, PA functionaries,
> operating, as far as I can tell here, in their personal capacities, plus a
> negotiating team making offers it knew the other side would never accept
> behind closed doors?

Okay, now you're trying to claim that the top leadership of Fatah, including Yassir Arafat, put forward concrete negotiating proposals at Taba for a limited/circumscribed RoR, yet this should be inexplicably ignored on the grounds that -- and you offer zero evidence for this either as a fact or (even granting the fact) as a causal explanation -- Israel "would never accept" those proposals. I'm sure many people will find this puzzling. Especially since the *current* and frequently repeated position of the Fatah leadership is that negotiations, whenever they resume, should start where Taba left off.

By the way, if you're now arguing that Israel "would never accept" even a limited/circumscribed RoR, how exactly do you expect an unlimited RoR to happen? An invasion and occupation of Israel?

SA