[lbo-talk] mass arrests on Brooklyn Bridge

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat Oct 1 17:21:38 PDT 2011

I have to admit that I was skeptical about this no demands point. But this Brooklyn Bridge thing reminds me of the way back. Sooner or later you can start something just by walking around in large groups making noise.

We reached that point sometime after demands were never met, and only crackdowns followed. Eventually, there was nothing left but fighting the cops and exposing government lies.

So I sort of understand. Just start something. But be prepared to amp it up fast into larger and larger numbers. The idea is to force the cops to fill up the jails and bog down the courts, tie up the criminal justice system. It's already bursting at the seams.

Anyway, good luck. Don't forget Monday morning commute. That usually gets things rolling for the week.. In a way, bad media coverage is better than no media. We never had `good' media coverage. Violence was always our fault. Peace officers were just keeping the peace, etc. Their obcession with traffic is just an obcession over keeping commerce moving... Traffic is also the flow of money materialized in the `real' economy. Think ILWU and what they could do.

The media deliberately over inflated the reactionaries like hard hats for Nixon and other bullshit, of course completely ignoring a lot of ILWU support out here at the time. Of course these days the ILWU gets sued by the NLRB for such actions. Imagine the idea of suing the union for expenses incured by private port cops. Nice.

It's good the transite workers at least speak in support. Now how about a mass transite strike or sick in or whatever they can muster.