[lbo-talk] mass arrests on Brooklyn Bridge

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 1 20:35:48 PDT 2011

Present as History.

As present, it never makes sense.

"The anatomy of man is a key to the anatomy of the the ape."

We have an event; we have multiple imitations of it around the nation, which should be seen as provisional interpretations of the event.

There will be more responses, imitations, attacks, defenses, heated discussions inside and outside the events. Those discussions in themselves change the world.

Some wait. Some make their own provisional interpretations and act themselves in accordance with those interpretations.

There will be a pause, a cessation at some point. That pause will be interpreted in various ways (which will be debated), as was Wisconsin & Greece and London. Various actions, local and national, perhaps international, will flow from all this, and in turn trigger various possibilities, which will be debated in various contexts.

There is a name for this.

It's called democracy, itself a hotly debated concept.

The meaning of the event is defined by these subsequent responses, not by the event itself.

Carrol