[lbo-talk] The Conservative Mind

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Oct 2 13:54:39 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Grimes" <c123grimes at att.net>

In the modern discourse, it's the return to power and domination by the US empire, the re-establishment of the dominance of white supremacy, coded as a white identity movement and an attack on immigrant minorities as well as an attack on traditional minority blacks and suppression of their political, cultural and social contributions to the American history, etc.

One interesting point about the algebra of victimhood. Comes from an essay by Derrida from ages ago where he talks about how claiming victimhood allows the claimant more than his fair share of the assumed equivalence among parties participating in a transaction.

Memory is fuzzy (I think it comes from an essay on metaphor), but the point is that the victim can say, because I was violated I am infinitely owed.

It is therefore especially interesting when the right uses this algebra.

Joanna