[lbo-talk] Modern reading comprehension via FB

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 3 05:39:53 PDT 2011

On Oct 2, 2011, at 11:34 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> Nobody there mentioned anything about having felt trapped by the police. If anything their feeling that the police had been "very cool," and their relating of various conversations with them (including that "we're just cogs in the wheel" and one saying he was going to join the demonstrators on this day off this coming Friday) kind of beggared belief. It sounded at times like the cops were their best friends.

This supports my speculation that the reason there are so many white shirts - officers - on the scene, making the arrests, and in the case of Bologna-head, pepper-spraying, is that they don't fully trust the rank and file. There's a lot of discontent over pension in the ranks. The demonstrators have played that card, saying that "we're here to protect your pensions," and it may be having an effect.

Cue Carrol Cox, if he's reading this, on why you can't play to the cops this way.

Doug