[lbo-talk] social movements since the 60s...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 3 06:23:39 PDT 2011

On Oct 3, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> I have to cover the New Right and, at first blush, want to present it as
> a strategic melding of romantic right wing cultural populism and hard-nosed
> right wing neoliberal political economy... not that my students will know
> what these things are ahead of time.

Of course you have to cover them! They're a social movement, though not our kind. Corey Robin argues in his new book, and my interview him on my Oct 1 radio show, that the right draws its energy from the movements of the radical left - they are in that sense literally reactionary. He would also argue (as would I) that there's not so much of a contradiction between the cultural populism and the neoliberalism - that's a contradiction that exists mostly in Tom Frank's mind.

Doug