[lbo-talk] The Conservative Mind

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 10:17:26 PDT 2011

Ferenc:"Conservative thought is always parasitic and mimetic, always reacting to left movements which are always original and liberatory? "

[WS:] I do not think it is the argument that she is making. I am still reading the introduction, but it clearly states that conservatives react to changing reality that can threaten their vision of it - "the conservative mind is extraordinarily supple, alert to changes in context and fortune long before others realize they are occurring." She contrasts that with liberals who "unfurl blueprint in advance of events."

I find that argument very compelling, so far. It dove-tails with other writings on the subject, such as George Lakoff's theory of conservative and liberal discourses or the "motivated cognition" argument http://faculty.virginia.edu/haidtlab/jost.glaser.political-conservatism-as-motivated-social-cog.pdf . In short, conservatives are naturally threatened by uncertain fluid environment are naturally attracted to rigidly hierarchical forms of organization. It seems logical that they are keenly aware of the "threat" from they escape to hierarchies and sense it way "before others realize it is occurring."

Wojtek