[lbo-talk] David Graeber interview on OWS

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 12:23:01 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:
>
>> Short sweet and IMHO the best attempt to explain the anarchist no demand case:
>>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/youre-creating-a-vision-of-the-sort-of-society-you-want-to-have-in-miniature/2011/08/25/gIQAXVg7HL_blog.html
>
> This prefiguration thing seems overdone. What are they producing and distributing?

Impatient much? As you've astutely pointed out many times, the last 30 years have been a time of extreme depoliticization and demobilization in the US. Do you really expect that to be overcome in a couple of weeks, especially since the huge majority of the actors have lived their entire lives under said conditions?

I'm not in touch enough probably to give a decent answer to your question. But no, they haven't produced a program yet. And bully for them. That's way better than protest politics of the last 30 years, which have often started with good energy and impulses and then given leadership by assorted cretins. Keep it all open-ended, I say; that's the only way to keep activists, Trots, administrators, and other movement-killers, not to mention informants and provocateurs, at bay.

>From my distance, they have produced at least one thing: a reminder of
the joys and difficulties of doing politics together, in a mass form. That seems like a whole lot to me.