[lbo-talk] David Graeber interview on OWS

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:39:16 PDT 2011

On 10/3/2011 8:21 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> obviously, graeber was talking about political society and so are the
> protesters

No, Graeber is also talking about economic society. Read his Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology.

> . the way labor unions run their political
> organizations couldn't run an economy either

And labor unions don't usually claim to prefigure a future economic system. But in any case, they're usually not run by OWS-style consensus, so the point is totally moot.

> I doubt Marx would have been deterred by some silly criticism such as
> "Oh goshes, Marxy boy, you don't have an alternative way to organize
> the economy in your political practice. Go back to the drawing board

Again, Marx embraced leaderships, elections, and party programs; he didn't claim to be building an anarchist future-society-in-miniature.

SA