[lbo-talk] the real problem with occupy wall street

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 3 18:18:18 PDT 2011

> "Colonialism also leads to capitalism, globalization, and
> industrialization."
>
> Well, call me Bill Warren then...
>
> Anyway, this piece is incredibly inane and I don't think
> representative of
> any significant trend on the contemporary Left. Or at least I hope
> not.

depends on what you think of as the left.

i know the racilicious crowd. they tend to be pretty weak tea. but they are a good example of an organization that tries to make money - it was, last i knew, front for a small consulting business: New Demographic and Mixed Media Watch which is supposed to help organizations understand "the real issues behind race and racism." (This is also why I see them as pretty harmless, people who fade away because the issue was always about a career)

it would be nice if the write had a clue about debates over the "primary contradiction" but the truth is: they have zero idea what that means.

their's is a stratification theory of society where society is composed of his random hodge podge of oppressions - classism, ablism, heterosexism, racism, sexism, imperialism, etc. - and there is no relationship between them.

they read someone say that once = and there is a popular author who has actually written on the topic summed up in the sentence you quote above -- but the author has gotten it all quite wrong because she probably just read sumaries of summaries of a blog post about the theory. it sounds good and the next thing you know, they are spouting shit that makes it sound like they actually have a theory about the connection between class, race, gender, sexuality, disability, colonialism, etc. but they really don't.