[lbo-talk] A Double Dip Recession May Be the Least of Our Worries

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Oct 3 21:47:53 PDT 2011

I wrote this for PBS's Need to Know website. Comments welcome. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/opinion/a-double-dip-recession-may-be-the-least-of-our-worries/11775/

Michael Yates

---------------

Good read for this rainy afternoon. Very good summary and I am glad you got it out on some web page with a hopefully larger readership. My answer to your one comment Oatcorp, Did Mr. Yates say anything? Fuck you, did you say anything jackoff? I am sure that would be inappropriate.

I have a comment which is mildly critical. Why not draw the obvious conclusion at the end:

``However, given the current balance of power in most societies, none of these things will be done. Quite the contrary. In the United States and most everywhere else, austerity is the watchword. Which means that a double-dip recession may be the least of our worries.''

And the conclusion is ... . We, the collective (99 - N percent) are facing personal and collective catastrophy otherwise known as Depresssion, the big kind with 1870s and and 1930s.

Do you see it?

I am going to stare down the wolf at the door but thankfully not tonight. I have had the luck to see him before several times. He is the bill you can't pay and eat and live indoors at the same time. He turns up with his brothers after more visits until you can only eat and breathe. Eventually one or the other brothers gets you.

Considering the ancient legends, mythology, and icons of our collective historical mind, I would add a fifth horseman something drawn from Picasso's Minotaur series, Capitalism:

http://www.bobkessel.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/picasso-minotaur.jpg

CG