[lbo-talk] David Graeber interview on OWS

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:10:55 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM, <wrobert at uci.edu> wrote:
>     Adding to Eric's analysis, which I largely agree with, I also think
> that there have been some changes within the broad terrain of
> subcultural anarchism itself.

Yes, both your points here are right. I had meant to add that I simplified and was assuming a certain kind of anarchist in what I wrote: direct action, alterglobo type; basically, the name in the subject line. But Robert's right that in the last decade anarchism has also moved in other directions, more syndicalist directions, to give it a name. (Someone should notify Jodi Dean of this; apparently the news moves slowly up to Geneva. ) This seems to have opened a rift (overstated though it is sometimes) between insurrectionist/direct action types and syndicalist types, one that can be productive and that also reveals what Robert says here: that anarchism can and does produce institutions and can be self-critical.