[lbo-talk] CUNY Grad Center: Corey Robin, Christopher Hayes

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 4 17:40:31 PDT 2011

Conservatism within capitalism has always been an ersatz product, since one of capitalism's main feature is endless change, and the main premise of 'classical' conservatism (Bolingbroke through John Adams) was that change as such was an evil, only to be accepted when it was the lesser evil in a given context. When conservatism embraced capitalism, it became incoherent. That's one reason I have never joined in the respect some leftists seem to retain for Burke & the modern Burkeans. That Buckley was bright doesn't make him any less of a farce.

Carrol