[lbo-talk] "so nice"

Seth K seth235 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 06:52:09 PDT 2011

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> i'm watching olberman's countdown on currentTV. I'm struck with how many people come away from meeting with them who come back and say how nice and polite and eager to listen and learn.

I really like what Madrick says here at about 4:40 on about the lack of  hierarchy combined with efficiency and kindness. I went to the  Occupy Philly meeting last night, and that was my reaction.  It was huge, filling a church, 900 people or so. I went partly out of general interest and curiosity, but I expected the consensus stuff to drag on and on, etc.  But it wasn't like that at all.  They managed to have a real discussion about the possible sites, raising concerns, and ended up  choosing a different location, with a much larger consensus, than the initial winner of the straw poll.  I still have plenty of concerns, but there is a commitment to  democratic values, and a seriousness, that is incredibly inspiring.

There were some Ron Paul types there explaining how the Fed is the root of all evil, but not very many, I think (and hope).