[lbo-talk] TS Eliot & antisemitism

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:38:27 PDT 2011

> Eliot, Pound, Stein (protected by Vichy French), Nietzsche. There
> seems to be a correlation between rightwing politics and major lit
> crit/ aesthetic philosophers credentials.

Shelley? Whitman? Ginsberg, even?

Doug

^^^^^ CB: Maybe . I'd like to develop a more complete list

I think of Shelley, Whitman and Ginsberg as "direct" artists and less critics, but I might have that wrong. There's Byron , too. However, Shelley and Byron were in nationalist revs.

I know Bloom is a favorite , but he's rightish.

I'm thinking , hypothetically, that the problem is being imbued with Greco-Roman values from focus on classics. Greece and Roma are literally reactionary intellectual locations. Also , I'm thinking 20th , 21st Century, though Ginsberg and N break that correlation.