[lbo-talk] not my revolution, so i'm taking my marbles and i'm going home now. kthxbai!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 5 15:40:10 PDT 2011

On 10/5/2011 4:49 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> Carrol, it is really a really terrific example of the delusion that
> there is a left that can actually negotiate with, say, the folks at
> OWS - much like they mistakenly think they can negotiate with the
> democratic party or some crap. @@

There are quite a scattering of people who dream of what they call refoundation -- and these are people who unlike Dean have actual experience in mas politics, who aren't sitting on the sidelines. It's sort of sad. If every "revolutionary" group out there swallowed their differences and became a New Communist Party, it would still be so small and contain so many unresolved tensions, that it would remain invisible. I've just read a bit of Den, plus comments on her on this list, but she doesn't seem to have the foggiest idea of where actual Parties come from or the conditions and practices which make them possible. I know some people who are still in many ways hardshell Trotskyists who have given up the fantasy that a single party can achieve hegemony over a revolutionary movement in the U.S. Anyone can declare themselves a Party and issue marching orders to the Workers; it isn't so easy to get anyone to even recognize that you exist. It can get lonely up there on the Temple spire.

Carrol

Carrol