[lbo-talk] Jacobin Blog: Tactical Media, A-L's 1/2 Wit Step-Parent

dndlllio at aol.com dndlllio at aol.com
Wed Oct 5 18:05:18 PDT 2011

On 10/3/11 8:23 AM, Charles Turner wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer. I haven't read Rossiter's essays in a while. But here, his and Lovink's interest is in institutional form, and a subset of what has been termed Tactical Media: communications media, really.

Wouldn't Lovink/Rossiter say that they aren't talking about a subset of tactical media, but that the concept has been conflated with other stuff like Culture Jamming, as in the Jacobin article?

Culture jamming is tactical media transplanted to North America with most of its theoretical organs removed and the incisions sutured up with threads from Mad Magazine and Candid Camera.

> The point I was trying to make, which may not have been clear at all, is that the tactical gestures of Tactical Media are read in different ways in different societal contexts. Lewis' essay echoes this from Lovink/Rossiter:
^^^^
> In MENA then, you have Twitter and YouTube posts being taken up by Al-Jazeera in a way that Rossiter and Lovink had dismissed in the context of their 2005 essay:
>
> "Networks will never be rewarded and 'embedded' in well funded structures."
>
> Never say "never," I guess.

I don't see the connection between R/L's assertion about networks and the comparison to Al-Jazeera's use of social media tools.