[lbo-talk] Great piece by Doug on What Would Keynes Do

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Oct 6 07:31:26 PDT 2011

http://www.thenation.com/article/163795/what-would-keynes-do-forum

October 5, 2011

The Nation

What Would Keynes Do? | A Forum

Doug Henwood , Matt Yglesias and James K. Galbraith

WWKD: "Somewhat Comprehensive Socialization"

By Doug Henwood

Before I say what I didn't like about Thomas Geoghegan's essay on

Keynes, I want to applaud something I really like about it: his

dismissal of protectionism. That's rare on the left, especially the

labor left. You often see analyses coming from our side that compute

job losses from trade--basically by dividing trade deficits by country

by the average U.S. wage--while allowing no offsetting gains from

trade.

To steal Keynes's word, any protectionist moves by the US now would be

"treacherous"--they could drive the world into deep recession.

Obviously the US trade deficit is unsustainable, but our voracious

demand for imports has been a great support for the global economy.

Taking that away suddenly would be disastrous. Something's got to give,

but that's a project for the long term.

But I fervently disagree with the emphasis Geoghegan places on keeping

interest rates low. As any Keynesian could tell you, in a depression,

even a zero rate of interest cannot overcome fear. In an economy as

rocky as this, investors prefer US Treasury paper--which has continued

to trade at ever-lower interest rates since the S&P downgrade--to

riskier bets. (Prospects in private markets can't be great if investors

are willing to lend a supposedly busted Washington money for 10 years

at a rate well under 2 percent.) That is precisely why the government

has to do some investing: no one else is.

As Keynes said, "For my own part I am now somewhat sceptical of the

success of a merely monetary policy directed towards influencing the

rate of interest. I expect to see the State...taking an ever greater

responsibility for directly organising investment." He was always coy

about exactly what he meant by this, or his statement later in the

General Theory embracing "the somewhat comprehensive socialization of

investment." Bringing Keynes back means talking about that sort of

thing, with some more precision.

Joan Robinson said that it was a pity that Keynes talked so much about

investment without talking about what investment should be for. She has

a point. The burying bottles only to dig them up example may be

reductio ad absurdum, but it's still revealing.

The investments that the private market is not making are those

necessary to deal with climate change. Clean energy, fast trains, all

that wonky stuff like smart grids and retrofitting isn't the kind of

thing that gets the heart racing, but it all has enormous potential to

generate not only domestic economic growth in both the short and the

longer term, but also to keep earth reasonably habitable.

Keynes wrote a famous essay on how economic growth would eventually

lead to a life so materially abundant that our grandchildren maybe

could give up on all the money-making and become civilized epicureans.

Today we have to wonder if they'll have a non-miserable place to live.

If we want to revive something of Keynes's hope for the generation

after the next, we need at least a somewhat comprehensive socialization

of investment.