[lbo-talk] Fetish of "Innovation"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 6 16:38:50 PDT 2011

Most innovation, like most mutations,is destructive. Praising innovation is praising the destructiveness of capitalism. There is a current instance of innovation which is far more typical than anything what's his name produced at Apple. I mean what has happened to facial tissues. Both Kimberley-Clark (Kleenex) and Proctor and Gamble (Puffs) some time ago reduced the size of their tissues, but now they have reduced it further and moreover reduced the strength radically. That is the innovation that a number of posters today have bubbled about. Endless change to no human purpose.

I do not ordinarily post on the evils of capitalism on this list, & I tend to be contemptuous of those who do. It's merely talking to oneself in a corner. But when I see Innovation made into a little tin god to worship, I have to register a protest.

Carrol