[lbo-talk] OWS Teach-In: Where to start?

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Fri Oct 7 04:33:35 PDT 2011

When Doug got his slot for an OWS teach-in, he expressed some natural puzzlement about how to get a handle on his audience. I drifted into the #owspolitics IRC chat a couple of days ago, and thought it might be suggestive.

As someone mentions on the thread below, a lot of folks end up there by following the links on the OWS LiveStream page as I did. So the chat doesn't represent the group actually in Liberty Park. Some of the most vocal people on the economy sound a bit Randian. (http://www.perfecteconomy.com/) But perhaps the group is sufficiently representative to spark some thinking about approach.

Link is here, and hey, you can even "interact":

<https://chat.indymedia.org/?chans=occupywallstreet>

[7:48pm] Citizen802: Economists and politicians fight back and forth about how to make the economy work, never daring to question whether the basic concept of a private bank issuing the public currency at interest is itself flawed. [7:49pm] dog: so you believe that the sick should accept suffering, to avoid sharing knowledge worldwide? [7:49pm] Citizen802: The economy has hit a debt wall and is falling into negative equity, where it may remain for as far as the eye can see until there is a debt write-down..debts that can’t be paid, won’t be [7:49pm] CrustyHO: i don't really get where you're going with this dog [7:49pm] NonSymbolic: There are people holding on to vast amounts of wealth in bank accounts that can't be touched -- the FED will not print anymore money -- the banks will not loan any money -- the food is more expensive -- the schools are more expensive -- the gas is more expensive -- students can't pay debt -- families can't pay mortgages -- more people are going unemployed -- [7:49pm] feanorian99 left the chat room. (Remote host closed the connection) [7:49pm] NonSymbolic: This is the big picture [7:49pm] CrustyHO: how is medical studies have anything to do with cheaper production? [7:50pm] dog: NonSymbolic, you do know of Germany through the depression of the 20's, right? [7:50pm] Citizen802: debts that can’t be paid, won’t be [7:50pm] NonSymbolic: exactly dog [7:50pm] ununu: Citizen802 - the move in recent years has been away from Gov run central banks to private/independent, on the argument that Govs will abuse the power to achieve short-term populist ends, while imperilling long-term economic management [7:50pm] NonSymbolic: ununu who are you you got some seriois comments [7:51pm] dog: NonSymbolic, I'm just a bit uncertain on what you mean, do you mean that printing more money would solve any issues? [7:51pm] ununu: how building in a strucutral unmeetable interest obligation aids any but those with a stake in the central bank is beyond me [7:51pm] Citizen802: unun...stupid politics on banksters [7:51pm] dog: CrustyHO, because medical technologies knowledge is also an import [7:51pm] NonSymbolic: in the long term no [7:52pm] Citizen802: setting loan sharks free will not make people life better... [7:52pm] CrustyHO: like i said, people should embrace death, it's got to happen sooner or later, I don't really care if I can be "healed" temporarily till death [7:52pm] NonSymbolic: but just the fact that they won't print the money when people need it, and the government fails to redistribute wealth shows everyone how beholden the politicians are to Wall Street [7:52pm] Canclrent: NonSymbolic, now I'm convinced you have no idea what you're talking about [7:53pm] Citizen802: again.....big time money system..ignorance [7:53pm] CrustyHO: I'm not afraid of death, or sickness [7:53pm] NonSymbolic: The whole system is locked from any changes by popular demand [7:53pm] CrustyHO: more people should embrace this feeling [7:53pm] NonSymbolic: ok I am bored [7:53pm] ununu: and NonSymbolic - just someone whose been trying to figure out what's wrong with the world for a few years now [7:53pm] Anon420: #OccupyLA Disinformation and police inciting violence http://pastebin.com/r2jB1wN4 [7:54pm] Citizen802: To find the players in all the corruption of the world, 'Follow the money.' To find the captains of world corruption, follow the money all the way. www.perfecteconomy.com [7:54pm] NonSymbolic: ununu [7:54pm] Citizen802: but again.....big time money system..ignorance [7:55pm] NonSymbolic: yeah big time bubadubabuba.. ignorance [7:55pm] NonSymbolic: hahaha [7:55pm] Citizen802: lol [7:55pm] CrustyHO: if anyone wants to use a different chat for debates, we host a chat room on stickam where freedom applies to all [7:55pm] CrustyHO: welcome to advertise it in chat on livestream to [7:55pm] Citizen802: money ignorance is killing us.... [7:56pm] CrustyHO: i'm not affiliated with occupy, "we" as in me and my internet lamers [7:56pm] Citizen802: http://www.perfecteconomy.com/ best place to learn what money is...and the best money reform for America....this guy has Solutions...not right/left BS [7:56pm] feanorian99 joined the chat room. [7:56pm] NonSymbolic: Who the fuck are these people in here [7:56pm] NonSymbolic: is this indymedia [7:56pm] Citizen802: just read it...is free [7:57pm] CrustyHO: most likely people sent in via livestream chat [7:57pm] CrustyHO: hence why i'm here [7:58pm] Canclrent: Same here [7:58pm] dog: NonSymbolic, haha, yeah, there are a lot of people who a very different from what I'd expect [7:58pm] NonSymbolic: hahahaha [7:58pm] CrustyHO: "livesteam is not the place for politic debates, go to this chat for that" hongpong [7:58pm] NonSymbolic: go to the other chat it is better [7:58pm] feanorian99 left the chat room. (Client Quit) [7:58pm] NonSymbolic: But Crusty you say weird shit man [7:59pm] NonSymbolic: do you ever make a point hahaha [7:59pm] CrustyHO: nah just spreading idealism [7:59pm] NonSymbolic: hahahaha [7:59pm] dog: some idealism. [7:59pm] NonSymbolic: your just a Tea Party dick welcome anyway [7:59pm] CrustyHO: i'm not here to force point down anyone's throat [7:59pm] NonSymbolic: good [7:59pm] NonSymbolic: thank you for your selflessness [8:00pm] CrustyHO: who can resist a good debate and bitching?

[07:05am] LeMutter joined the chat room. [07:05am] RedNovember1917: That's because the extremists on the right want to corrupt the minds of the young with their BS. [07:05am] LeMutter: you know ... the problem is the dependencies on the banking cartel ... Evade Wall Street ... instead of Occupy or Invade [07:06am] LeMutter: in the coming days [07:06am] LeMutter: you'll see foks with "Evade Wall Street" signs [07:06am] LeMutter: their banking system only works if people use it [07:06am] csfy: how are you going to avoid it? [07:06am] LeMutter: bartering [07:06am] LeMutter: using actual products, goods, services [07:06am] RedNovember1917: Again, the barter system isn't a solution to our problems, nor is linking our currency back to gold. That's a very simplistic point of view. [07:06am] csfy: not gonna work. [07:06am] LeMutter: the barter system isn't practical at a global commerce level, sure [07:07am] Helios: what if someone owns all the gold? [07:07am] csfy: the major banks already own all the gold. [07:07am] RedNovember1917: Right. [07:07am] LeMutter: the problem is ... no politician is gonna have the guts to attack the fractional reserve banking system, publicly [07:07am] texinwien: RedNovember1917: Interestingly enough, I know some very successful business people who do a good amount of business via bartering. [07:07am] csfy: our monetary system is just fine [07:07am] LeMutter: and even then [07:07am] LeMutter: when QE3 fails [07:07am] texinwien: LeMutter: that's why campaign finance reform is so important. [07:07am] ViolentGoat: ron paul, motherfuckers [07:07am] LeMutter: then you're gonna see the IMF and the BIS claim to be the saviours [07:07am] RedNovember1917: Yeah, but that's small-scale. I'm talking about on a national level. [07:08am] LeMutter: all about endless buying of more time [07:08am] LeMutter: and making people poorer [07:08am] RedNovember1917: Oh my goodness. [07:08am] RedNovember1917: You Ron Paul droids need to go somewhere else. [07:08am] ViolentGoat: how did things get so dreary? [07:09am] LeMutter: these world bankstas ... they already have multiple levels of debt-meltdown fault-tolerance in their pockets [07:09am] LeMutter: namely the IMF and the Bank for International Settlements [07:09am] csfy: world bank has the sdr [07:09am] LeMutter: ViolentGoat: the Reagan era legalized greed, essentially [07:09am] whatdoido: Question : Are there any demands yet? OccupyWallst.org is down. [07:09am] LeMutter: csfy : correct ... and the IMF is gonna jump on this like a major opportunity to parlay ofr Special Drawing Rights [07:09am] ViolentGoat: when was the last historical time, i mean, when we did without that shit? [07:09am] sundog joined the chat room. [07:10am] RedNovember1917: No, nothing real in that direction yet. [07:10am] texinwien: ViolentGoat: Because we were lulled into complacency. while we were lulled into complacency, monied interests increased their entrenchment. Now we have to work our way out of it. [07:10am] Helios: I think everyone is short-selling the economy, especially the people who have most financial influence. that is a recipe for disaster. [07:10am] LeMutter: but _nobody_ will have the _guts_ to attack _fiat_ currency or fractional reserve banking itself [07:10am] whatdoido: What do you think of this economic recovery proram? http://tarpley.net/five-point-program.pdf [07:10am] whatdoido: program ** [07:10am] Helios: so, the people who have the greatest influence on the economy have most to gain if the economy collapses. [07:11am] sundog left the chat room. (Client Quit) [07:11am] ViolentGoat: i myself have amish people as neighbors [07:11am] ViolentGoat: they have fresh eggs [07:12am] csfy: remember when you short sell you have to buy it back. [07:12am] texinwien: LeMutter: Effective Campaign Finance Reform would put guts back into our politicians. Right now they're for sale to the highest bidders. [07:12am] csfy: its not much different than buying, then selling. [07:12am] theonlytruestyle2 joined the chat room. [07:12am] texinwien: csfy: not with naked short sells [07:12am] csfy: that is illegal [07:12am] ViolentGoat: i'd love the system to fall apart [07:13am] ViolentGoat: i know how to make my own way [07:13am] LaMutter joined the chat room. [07:13am] texinwien: csfy: Some commentators have contended that despite regulations, naked shorting is widespread and that the SEC regulations are poorly enforced. Its critics have contended that the practice is susceptible to abuse, can be damaging to targeted companies struggling to raise capital, and has led to numerous bankruptcies.[5][10] However, other commentators have said that the naked shorting issue... [07:13am] texinwien: ...is a "devil theory",[11] not a bona fide market issue and a waste of regulatory resources.[12] [07:13am] texinwien: csfy: [07:14am] LaMutter: helios : the central banks likely planned for such a _singularity_ many years ago [07:14am] LaMutter: it's likely a prologue to even more centralized international monetary order [07:14am] texinwien: csfy: "Abusive naked short-selling" Has been regulated since 2008, but I'm not so sure it's an effective policy, or that it's effectively enforced. [07:14am] LaMutter: and the parlaying of SDRs [07:14am] csfy: it would be a big conspiracy if people were able to short sell.