[lbo-talk] OWS Teach-In: Where to start?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 7 08:41:10 PDT 2011

On 10/7/2011 10:21 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> On 10/7/2011 9:23 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to write something on this for my radio commentary later today, and I'll post the text when I do.
>>
>> The True Believers are perhaps beyond help. I don't know how to characterize those who don't hold this nonsense already but might be tempted by it.
>
> It's the "radical" sounding analysis that's floating around. Curious but naive people might find it appealing as long as no refutation is making the rounds.

I hope you are right -- and can put out a good 'transportable' counter-argument. We have a couple believers here; they come to anti-war speak-outs to spin their fantasies. Can't attack them directly because of intertwining relationships among local leftists, but they are a real pain in the ass. "Curious but naive" probably describes those who might listen to them.

I think perhaps most of those who are full believers are auto-didacts; that would describe Pound for example in reference to economic history.

Carrol