[lbo-talk] Jobs

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Oct 7 10:56:14 PDT 2011

> Nobody seems to be arguing with the fact that Apple
> machines are sturdier and that the O/S doesn't crash.

(Maybe because that's not true?)

I have lots of computers. Except for the Unix servers which can typically have their upgrades managed, all of them -- Windows, MacOS, iOS -- all have to be rebooted on a regular basis.

My iPhone 4 auto-rebooted *in the middle of a phone call* last night.

My Sony VAIO with a carbon-fibre shell is way sturdier than my Macbook Air, is faster, has more functionality[*], and is a lot easier to use and has a nicer screen. It is 1" larger and 5oz heavier, whoop-de-do.

Apple products have their place; but that place is not on a pedestal.

/jordan # "I was told we would have flying cars. Where's my flying car!?"

[*] It has USB3, HDMI, a Blu-Ray drive, ethernet & VGA for plugging into other people's stuff at meetings, more memory and more RAID-backed SSD.