[lbo-talk] OWS Teach-In: Where to start?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 7 11:42:02 PDT 2011

Think politically. This is not a Seminar or an academic course. The slogan doesn't have to have that kind of precision. Just because A logically leads to B in a developed argument does NOT mean that as a political slogan it leads to B. This is not a courtroom, nor are writing a scholarly article for Science & Society or Historial Materialism. We are not even writing a Senior Honors Thesis. And above all, we are not writing Congressional Legislation or for a Congressional Commit6tee. And our slogans need only to POINT TOWARDS the truth, to open up useful conversation, NOT to "be true" themselves. I personally also don't line "Fight Corporate Personhood," but it isn't true that it will lead to any of the b ad ideas that SA fears. That's not how political conversation works. "Fight the Corporate Threat to Democracy" is on the surface true and opens up rich and complex conversation. It appeals to vague anti-capitalist feelings but doesn't insist on an analysis of capitalism but makes room for that. One does not make arguments as in a journal article; one tries to frame a conversation. You simply cannot refute a Conspiracy Theory; attempts to do so lead to very bad and endless conversations. Rather,you try to point towards sdomething else that is more interesting than the Conspiracy Theory.

Carrol