[lbo-talk] OWS Teach-In: Where to start?

Nathan S. n.crazeddoberman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 14:50:31 PDT 2011

I think I am over the listed 3-post limit, but I wanted to add my personal data here. I spent a long time in the grips of deeply, deeply reactionary thought and during the course of that consumed a lot of the Fed conspiracy stuff.

Fundamentally it is just a matter of ignorance and failed comprehension, some of which is intractable. Most gold-buggerists are just the unwitting shills for charlatans who sell junk silver coins, and really seem to have this apocalyptic fantasy where they buy sandwiches with gold coins when everyone else is running around with wheelbarrows full of cash.

What ultimately dissuaded me from giving any credence to Fed conspiracy narratives was following the Fed open market operations as an effort to gauge potential market volatility. You read in Fed conspiracist literature about "the Plunge Protection Team", but you never read in that literature that the Fed, at least pre-TALF, was not just transparent but outright telegraphed its weekly market controls to anyone paying attention. When i learned that, I looked at the actual history and found that the conspiracist narratives aren't necessarily inaccurate--they're just incomplete and underwritten by vulgar theory. Two facts that stuck in my mind were that the original sponsor of the Fed legislation withdrew his support after the bill was revised to allow increased oversight, and the simple fact that Congress can alter the Fed's mandate.

Likewise, you rarely ever read conspiracist mentions of the Volker-era austerity, presumably because right-wingers love the idea of 18% interest. But again, it's just a lack of data--possibly because they lack tools (and would not take them up if they had them) to interpret it.

Unfettered goldbuggery, as opposed to garden-variety goldbuggery or charlatanism, is a disease of thought and probably cannot be cured without a period of psychosis. If someone wants to live in a future where they rule their neighborhood with junk silver and gold bars, the only other "investment" he has (and it's a he) is some ammunition and mason jars.

There is also a profound discourse of antisemitism to all of this that simply can't be wiped away, but conspiracists have been very good at de-racializing their narratives in the past two decades. You'd hardly know that Ron Paul and Rand Paul hate blacks, Jews, Mormons, Italians and the Irish.