[lbo-talk] Paulite infiltration of evangelicals

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Oct 9 07:25:56 PDT 2011

To be fair to the OWS, these Ron Paulites are an organized vanguard group like the LaRouchies and are catching even much better organized rightwing groups off guard. The Value Voters Summit this weekend was a prime gathering of evangelicals where they sought to focus their support on a candidate. Mitt Romney only won 4% there. Herb Cain came out as their current darling (now that they've decided neither Perry nor Bachman can win -- they tied with 8%). But who won the poll? Ron Paul with 23%, because a bunch of Paul supporters registered simply in order to be able to vote:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/09/herman-cain-social-conservatives-new-darling-at-values-voter-summit.html

Given that kind of dedication, I think OWS should be commended on how marginal these people have been kept (proving once again it's hard to hijack a general assembly). And perhaps the commentariat should consider if they should be considered more like annoying chiggers than a real current. I think comparisons to the LaRouchies deserve to become a stock simile.

Michael