[lbo-talk] Debt: first 5000 years

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 20:12:00 PDT 2011

I think it's a mixed bag. A friend who is publicity director for a big publishing firm tells me that long interviews are not necessarily good because it makes a lot of people feel like they've already read the book.

I can see how that might be the case for more pulp type books (Men are from Mars...), but it would not necessarily be the case for the sort of authors/books that Doug features.

Having said this I'd add that both Robin and Graeber were great interviews; they really gave you a sense of the depth/originality/sensibility of the authors and the importance of the book. Not all interviews are like that. No fault of Doug's: you can't hit a home run every time, and some people are just not all that good at interviews.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com>

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, Mike Beggs wrote:

> When I picked up Corey Robin's book after Doug's interview, the Amazon
> 'others who bought this also bought...' list was a string of other
> Behind the News interviewees. I wonder just how much book moving muscle
> BtN has...

I've often wondered the same thing. I've bought literally dozens of books in the last decade because Doug interviewed the authors.