[lbo-talk] Zizek speech to OWS

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:07:01 PDT 2011

"The only sense in which we are Communists is that we care for the commons - the commons of nature, of knowledge - which are threatened by the system."

I thought some of us were Communists in the sense that we are calling for a new communist party?

"They will tell us we are un-American. But when conservative fundamentalists tell you that America is a Christian nation, remember what Christianity is: the Holy Spirit, the free egalitarian community of believers united by love. We here are the Holy Spirit, while on Wall Street they are pagans worshipping false idols."

I understand Zizek's desire to locate a Christian universalism in the Marxist tradition but saying this in the context of OWS... a very complex and tricky national context that even the occupiers are handling with kid gloves... is a good example of a public intellectual dropping in on a movement and saying shit that sounds like he hasn't taken the time to analyze the movement's fault lines.

fm