[lbo-talk] Zizek speech to OWS

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:29:26 PDT 2011

shag:

>But really, if he had simply said that last paragraph, the joke about
ink, that's all he had to have said.

jg:

Well, that was just a convoluted and cute (if funny and effective) way of saying "everything you've heard about the causes, dynamics, and results of the crisis is a pack of lies" -- and I bet Zizek has used the joke dozens of times before, repurposed for the context. But yeah, ZIZEK said it, it's empowering to know that ZIZEK stands with us. It's significant only to the degree that people put their faith in him in the first place. I won't condemn it but I won't get all applause-y about it either. (I did like what he said about "not corruption, but the system," but the same point follows -- many other w/o the aura superimposed onto ZIZEK could and have said the same thing.)