[lbo-talk] Zizek speech to OWS

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 21:06:26 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 8:50 PM, Mark Bennett wrote:

> Or find the the surviving participants in this experiment in employee
> ownership in the US that was in the news 30 add years ago:
>
> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,947132,00.html
>
> I believe there was even a 60 Minutes piece on the company. The company
> still exists in the Youngstown area, as Salem-Republic Hose Manufacturing.
> However, from what I can gather from the internet, it was bought and is no
> longer employee owned, although it is privately held. Whatever its current
> status may be, at least the employees of 1979 saved the company and their
> jobs.

Alperovitz spent a lot of time in Ohio in the 70's.

There is the Ohio Employee Ownership Center at Kent State that's got quite a network going.

http://dept.kent.edu/oeoc/AbouttheOEOC/AboutTheOEOC.htm

Esops have *a lot* of problems, imo. Here's just one example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIC_%28company%29

Ian