[lbo-talk] Blake's "London" / Ovid

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 11 22:05:59 PDT 2011

The story of Ovid is sort of weird. I think it could be said that from Provence & Dante through Pope Ovid was The Poet's Poet. And then something happened. Pope's 'biographer,' Spence, called Pope's love of Ovid "odd" or "curious" (I forget precisely, but it was something like that.) At mid-century, Warton called it "bad taste." And Johnson, looking for a 'bad' simile (in his discussion of Pope's Alps simile) picks one from Ovid (not identified, but it is almost certainly Daphne fleeing from Apollo), and says the two things compared (a rabbit's flight and Daphne's) are too similar. He assumes that the point is how _fast_ she runs, the banality of "running as fast as a rabbit." But surely Ovid is focused not on her speed but on here emotional response to Apollo.

And then Ovid is almost ignored until Pound & othrs began to pay attention to himin the 20th-c.

An early 19th-c edition of Ovid for school use cut out all the 'dirty' passages -- but then the editor's scholarly conscience go the better of him, and he printed all the omitted passages in the back. Very popular with schoolboys.

*Carrol