[lbo-talk] demands of the peasants: parsing the ideologyof the 99%ers

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Oct 12 06:42:27 PDT 2011

Reading the first chapter hosted at Amazon, Newman et al discuss the way speeches we now immortalize as indicative of the New Deal and Great Society programs weren't really reflections of popular demand, as if it were unified, but attempt to create a rhetoric to sway and create a popular demand.

It reminded me of Alan Wolfe's argument that Sweden's welfare state was ushered into being with a rhetoric redefining what it meant to be a citizen - a grand narrative explaining the history of the country, struggles and why the welfare state was a fulfillment of that historical trajectory.

It would probably do well for people to start circulating Obama's 2004 convention speech where his rhetoric embodies that kind of narrative.
>From the surveys, it looks like there's a lot of resentment that Obama
didn't fulfill young people's fantasy of who they thought they were electing. It would be interesting if it got taken up as a way to express that resentment and give them a convenient way to force Obama to address the concerns. he will, very likely, thumb his nose at the whole thing, which would definitely spark more resentment.