[lbo-talk] Occupy Internet

dndlllio at aol.com dndlllio at aol.com
Wed Oct 12 07:12:29 PDT 2011

That was me putting the quotes in, and they aren't scare quotes, they're meant to convey the actual text from the site; i.e., it's conceived as system where only "activists" may vote by providing proof of participation in the "real world" - where real world is narrowly defined as an activist event.

On 10/12/11 9:46 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
> i didn't go that far, but the bit about a user verification system
> tweaked me, and then I noticed that they used scare quotes around
> "activist" and "real world" which suggested paranoid loons.
>

>> The only contact info for that site is an email address. If you google
>> it, the first result is a Ron Paul facebook page where the email
>> address
>> is listed as a contact.
>>
>> Also: http://code.google.com/p/openassembly/wiki/History:
>>
>>> On Jan 20, 2010 Reddit user levmyshkin
>>> <http://www.reddit.com/user/levmyshkin> authored a post
>>> <http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/arzh7/america_we_need_a_third_party_that_can_galvanize/>
>>> outlining a third way, a new political party addressing the need for
>>> more nuanced and complex political platform that bucked the
>>> left/right
>>> paradigm. This post quickly rose in popularity as calculated by the
>>> collective ranking algorithms, and soon thousands of individuals
>>> pledged their desire for a better democracy.
>>>
>>> A handful of leaders emerged and began to organize supporters
>>> through
>>> IRC, online forums, and Reddit however these tools soon proved to be
>>> highly ineffective for political discourse. The now defunct American
>>> Pirate Party<http://americanpirateparty.us/> was formed, and
>>> pirate-politics began as the long-term political organization tool
>>> for
>>> that party. While the project is now independent of any political
>>> organization, the original aim of the project remains.
>>>
>>> Pirate-politics is an open-source project dedicated to the
>>> improvement
>>> of collective decision making that itself emerged through such a
>>> collective decision system. This is a departure from the origins of
>>> most open source projects, which often begin as the work of one or
>>> two
>>> individuals. Pirate-politics became Open Assembly in the summer of