[lbo-talk] A sensible on Jobs from Jonathan Schwarz

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:13:51 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Dennis Redmond <metalslorg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Only in the BRIC countries, where a near-total lack of copyright
>> enforcement, informal copying, developmental states, and feisty social
>> movements have been beating back neoliberalism for decades.
>
> Franco Barchiesi (pdf)
> <http://www.global-labour-university.org/fileadmin/GLU_conference_2011/papers/Franco_Barchiesi.pdf>

None of which disproves my point. Brazil has tons of feisty unions and social movements. The Russian state still owns a third of Russian companies' stock, China owns massive chunks of its enterprises. India's banking system: mostly state-owned. And there's a massive, and I mean massive, uprising in the Indian countryside right now, as farmers and adivasis fight back against South Asian business elites.

It's one of the reasons the BRIC nations have such fantastically productive and dynamic media-cultures.

-- DRR