[lbo-talk] Robert Fisk: Stupid, or what?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 04:05:56 PDT 2011

At first I assumed that Fisk's latest was an awkward attempt at irony that I just wasn't getting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-democratic-governments-dont-deal-with-terrorists-ndash-until-they-do-2369660.html

Then I reached this part:

"More than 10 years ago, the UN engineered a similar swap. Half the Lebanese prisoners came home during the hostage swap; then the Israelis decided to keep the other half.

"The UN's special negotiator told me personally that when he pointed this out to then-UN Secretary General, the latter said of the remaining prisoners: 'Forget them.' No doubt Hamas can be equally as ruthless. Since they are now trying to force journalists and others to obtain 'visas' before visiting their Republic of Gaza, we may not know." Leaving aside the idiocy of denigrating Hamas because of Zionism's track record, does Fisk really think the absurdity of a government asking foreigners to obtain "visas" in advance, rather than stamping them in our "passports" at the "border," is so glaring as the require no further explanation? Or is his sense of humor simply lost on me?