[lbo-talk] 'What Wall Street protesters are so angry about'

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:16:48 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-14, at 1:26 AM, Bhaskar Sunkara wrote:

> The most bourgeois of venues sometimes surprise. The charts are pretty
> great.
>
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Mike Beggs <mikejbeggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> From 'Business Insider' of all places, a pretty good selection of charts…

Why the surprise? The bourgeoisie is as keenly aware as we that there is a serious economic crisis and a growing crisis of legitimacy of the system, and it discusses these issues forthrightly and in detail in the financial press, think tanks, and other forums largely outside the public purview.

As always, it is split between those who think reforms are needed to restore order and profitablity and those who think the resolute application of austerity and brute force is all that is required. These days, there are are probably more of the former than the latter, but to date they have also been divided, confused and paralyzed about the nature and degree of reform which is necessary and possible. The spreading mass unrest has got to be concentrating minds at the top, however.