[lbo-talk] CHART OF THE DAY: These Are The 47 Percent

Mark DeLucas mkdelucas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:31:09 PDT 2011

"It's a false impression, and when you break down who comprises this now-famous "47 percent" -- the poor, the disabled, and the elderly -- it makes you wonder why anybody thought it was a good idea to pick a public fight with them."

It seems to me that poor-bashing, from a public opinion stand-point, is always a very good idea. And the implication of the 53 percent thing -- that the problems in this country are mainly moral (that a vast swath of the population loaf rather than work, and could work if they chose) -- resonates in a culture steeped in the traditional work-ethic -- much more so, I think, than left criticisms of income inequality.