[lbo-talk] The guy who 'blocked' John Lewis

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 14 15:20:11 PDT 2011

Blacks _at present_ have, on the whole, defined their "self-=interest" as (in the words of Glen Ford) "building a wall around the Black Brother" to fend off criticism. Ford calls this a major problem for the Black Left -- which makes it a major problem for all leftists. Unfortunately there is little white leftists can do about it; we can only try not to make it more difficult for Black Agenda and similar groups to do their work. The Black attendance at anti-war rallies has always been small (the one exception in my experience being a march in 1969 for which the Panthers also organized), but it reached a low at the recent March & Rally in Chicago. We had a Black speaker: from the Black Agenda. He pointed to the "Obama Problem" as central to that fact.

Carrol