[lbo-talk] More on Dennis Ritchie

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Oct 14 18:25:04 PDT 2011

http://www.salon.com/2011/10/13/dennis_ritchie_the_geek_prometheus/?sourc
> >> e=newsletter
> >>

> > The article hints at the good nature and accessibility of people
> like Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan, which I can personally
> attest to; quite different from that of today’s ubergeeks (whether
> it be Stallman and Linus or the lesser luminaries in today’s Web
> development).
>
> I can't match your story, but getting RMS to talk at the Boston
> Social
> Forum took just a couple of emails.

I have occasionally crossed paths with Stallman. I even once ate dinner with him. Curiously enough, even though I am a technie, my occasional encounters with him had nothing to do with tech as such, but Stallman does have an interest in philosophy, particularly philosophy of mind as it relates to things like AI.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math