[lbo-talk] Susan Abulhawa on WITBD for Palestine (rights vs. statehood

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 15 14:57:09 PDT 2011

The American conception of / attitude toward slogans is encapsulated in a feature that used to appear in the New Yorker: "Shouts we doubt ever got shouted." But political slogans are not necessarily meant to carry their actual content; they are meant to point a direction, open an ongoing discussion: it is of their essence that that discussion changes the initial meaning of the slogan. There is no way for those _outside_ that discussion to be at all confident that their understanding of the slogan is correct, because it in effect has no meaning independently of that discussion. "Natural rights" is indeed cringe-inducing, but I have not the slightest idea of what it means for its intended audience; Joe has a point here.

Carrol

The reason the Civil-Rights slogans were so clear and precise is that they were all cliches that had been taken for granted by the white population for a century or two. They became much less clear as soon as the movement went beyond the destruction of the legal foundations of southern segregation. An anti-Lynch law unfortunately could not touch the lynching of Troy Davis. Nor could that rhetoric do much when it reached Chicago, where Mayor Daley had no trouble whatever in chasing King from town. In any case "civil" rights stretch no further than the workings of bourgeois democracy: they represent an the abstract equality of citizenship in the bourgeois republic. They are not substantive.

Carrol