[lbo-talk] [Marxism] Somewhat Off-Topic Request

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Oct 15 18:35:56 PDT 2011

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 01:13:35 +0100 (BST) Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> writes:

> Sorry for the strange request, but some of the smartest people I
> know hang out on these lists, so:
>
> can anyone recommend some useful introductory/secondary literature
> to the thought of Wittgenstein? (beyond Wikipedia, of course)
>

> Is the Ray Monk biography useful in this regard, or is it purely
> biographical and not much of an actual introduction in terms of
> ideas?
>
> Plus points of course for anything written from a broadly Marxist
> perspective. ;-)

Yes, I would endorse Ray Monk's bio of Wittgenstein, unlike his Russell bio, which IMO is not so good because Monk's rather obvious hatred of Russell gets in his way there. And as I recall, Monk does get in Wittgenstein's ideas too. Concerning Wittgenstein's ideas, Anthony Kenny has a good introductory book on Wittgenstein's philosophy, that is simply titled, Wittgenstein, by Penguin Press.

David Pears, who was a noted Wittgenstein scholar, wrote a good short intro book on him also simply titled, Wittgenstein. He also wrote more advanced studies of Wittgenstein's work like his, The False Prison: A Study of the Development of Wittgenstein's Philosophy.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math ____________________________________________________________ 57-Year-Old Mom Looks 25 Mom Reveals $5 Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e9a352610378ae8b62st05vuc