[lbo-talk] From Barecelona's neighborhood assemblies

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun Oct 16 15:40:52 PDT 2011

``FM: Agreed. Here is my frenemy's account of what he experienced when he and his discussion group attempted to bring up the topic of Neighborhood Assemblies at last Tuesday's OWS General Assembly...''

It's good to hear, its already been taken up.

Hmm. I don't have an answer. I posted about the neighborhood assembly idea in Barcelona because I could see it work here in Berkeley. Berkeley elects its city council based on a rough approximation of neighborhoods. For years the north of campus council members were basically a liberal front for property owners, one woman in particular Shirley Dean. So it has its down side.

Neighborhood assemblies depend heavily on the nature of a particular city and its neighborhoods, its concrete social-economic scene and physical geography. It might not be suitable for NYC and or OWS...

On the other hand NAs worked in Cairo to man street patrols at night to protect people from police, looters, and thugs.

CG