[lbo-talk] Soviet empire?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 05:37:33 PDT 2011

[WS:] I wrote something about Communism creating the intelligentsia where none existed before but not the rest of the stuff, especially the "client states." It was a mixed bag anyway. Some, like Poland benefited at the end of the day, others like E. Germany paid the price for being a "friend of the USSR." Czechoslovakia probably paid the price too, but then they were most pro-Soviet of the bunch at the beginning.

As to corruption, it was endemic and the Communist regime tried to curb it by the organization of the industry, but they were not very successful. Again, a mixed bag if we look at details.

What I did repeatedly write here and elsewhere is that Eastern Europe is a complex reality that mixes Communist ideology with vestiges of feudalism, peasant collectivism, and elements of modern organization and social democracy. Therefore, we need to analytically separate the effects of each, which is a very difficult intellectual task. Unfortunately, not many are up to this task - most prefer simple demonization or simple glorification instead.

Wojtek