[lbo-talk] The guy who 'blocked' John Lewis

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 06:59:43 PDT 2011

Blacks _at present_ have, on the whole, defined their "self-=interest" as (in the words of Glen Ford) "building a wall around the Black Brother" to fend off criticism. Ford calls this a major problem for the Black Left -- which makes it a major problem for all leftists. Unfortunately there is little white leftists can do about it; we can only try not to make it more difficult for Black Agenda and similar groups to do their work. The Black attendance at anti-war rallies has always been small (the one exception in my experience being a march in 1969 for which the Panthers also organized), but it reached a low at the recent March & Rally in Chicago. We had a Black speaker: from the Black Agenda. He pointed to the "Obama Problem" as central to that fact.

Carrol

^^^^ CB: Obama is a major advance for "the Black Left" or Black Leftists. Ford's line puts him in the rear guard, not the vanguard of Black people en masse. It is a completely sectarian ultra-left line under the faulty claim that Ford's thinking about Obama is in advance of most Black people's thinking about Obama. Events will prove this in that Ford will have no mass "following" whatsoever.