[lbo-talk] query: from anarchist to marxist???

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Oct 17 07:38:39 PDT 2011

On Oct 17, 2011, at 10:12 AM, christian bayes wrote:

> I recently re-watched the interview with David Graeber on Charlie
> Rose that,
> I think, ravi posted. He described anarchism in a way that I thought
> was
> really interesting. In general, he said that it is a committment to
> the idea
> that it's possible to have a society based on self-organization,
> voluntary
> association and mutual aid. If you are interested in living as if
> that is
> possible, then you are an anarchist.
>
> I take it that the passage through anarchism to Marxism probably
> comes by
> way of a recognition of the necessity of the state...

If you read Lenin's masterpiece, State and Revolution, you will see that the opposite is the case: the transition is from "Marxism" to "Anarchism" because the *possibility* of a "society based on self- organization, voluntary association and mutual aid" can be actualized, made real, only through the formation of a *state* of a new type, democratic through and through, whose progressive "withering away" as the economic conditions for universal abundance develop will unveil such a fully anarchist society.

Shane Mage